Splunk Search

timechart of a sliding window count

pr0n
Explorer

I need a timechart that counts the number of distinct fieldx where that fieldx has more than x events in that span/bin.

I hope that makes sense, so sudocode would be something like

index=blah | stats count by fieldx as blah | where blah>5 |timechart span=1hr count distinct by fieldx  

That search obviously doesn't work, I'm not sure how to structure it to get what I want.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The pseudo-code fails because the stats command eliminated the _time field needed by timechart. Try this alternative:

index = blah | bin span=1h _time | stats count by _time fieldx | where count > 5 | timechart span=1h max(count) by fieldx
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

pr0n
Explorer

I was able to do this at seems to work correctly

index=asdf fieldx=* | bucket _time span=day  | stats  count by fieldx _time  | where count>2  | timechart distinct_count(fieldx)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The pseudo-code fails because the stats command eliminated the _time field needed by timechart. Try this alternative:

index = blah | bin span=1h _time | stats count by _time fieldx | where count > 5 | timechart span=1h max(count) by fieldx
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...