Splunk Search

sum up several fields with integer counts to one

mhornste
Path Finder

Hi,

I have several fields which should be summed up to one count. I tried the following but the field is not showing up (even with fields + fieldname).

index=otcs  sourcetype=OtcsSummaryTimings FunctionAction="doc.fetch" OR  FunctionAction="doc.Fetch" OR FunctionAction="fetch"   | eval sumFetch=doc.Fetch+doc.fetch+fetch | timechart span=7d count by FunctionAction

The result only shows the fields without the calculated one. I unfortunately can't attach files (karma).

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

So, you have 3 slightly different types of events, each having the fetch value in a different field?

An eval statement like that will not work at all, if some of the fields in it are missing, they will not automagically evaluate to 0 and still make the summation work.

I would solve this by renaming the 3 different fields such that they have the same name in each event, and then simply doing a stats sum() on that.

Also not sure what exactly you try to do with that timechart, as that doesn't reference the sumFetch field in any way???

Even though you cannot attach files, you can still upload screenshots somewhere and put the URL in your question, right?

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Can you try something like:

index=otcs  sourcetype=OtcsSummaryTimings FunctionAction="doc.fetch" OR  FunctionAction="doc.Fetch" OR FunctionAction="fetch"  
| stats count(eval(FunctionAction="doc.fetch")) AS count_doc_fetch  count(eval(FunctionAction="doc.Fetch")) AS count_doc_Fetch count(eval(FunctionAction="fetch")) AS count_fetch by _time | eval sumFecth='count_doc_fetch'+'count_fetch'+'count_doc_Fetch'
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...