Splunk Search
Highlighted

stats count(eval) always returns zero

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm having problems with what should be a very simple query. I'm trying to get a count of events in an "unavailable" state based on ping time values.

... | eval Available=if(RTT>20,0,1) | stats count(eval Available==0) as "Unavailable"

I have multiple events with RTT values larger than 20 and all of those events have Available set to zero, stats always returns 0.

I've tried a few variations on count(eval), including Available=0 and if(Available=0,1,0), all with the same result.

Does anyone see what I've done wrong?

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: stats count(eval) always returns zero

Super Champion
| eval Available=if(RTT>20,0,1) | stats count(eval(Available==0)) as "Unavailable"

you need a parenthesis between the eval and Available.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Winner!

FTR, I originally tried count(eval (Available==0)) which also failed. Removing the space after eval fixed it.

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

Super Champion

also, FTR, if you need to wildcard a value ever (clearly not for this search as you only have 0 and 1), it would be count(eval(like(Available,"%0%"))) as "Unavailable"

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

can you try
... | eval Available=if(RTT>20,0,1) | where Available=0 |stats count as "Unavailable"

0 Karma
Highlighted

Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | eval Available=if(RTT>20,0,1) | stats count(eval(Available==0)) AS Unavailable

Or better yet, this:

... | stats count(eval(RTT<=20)) AS Unavailable
Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.