Splunk Search

search requires stitching together two distinct events from a single sourcetype

danesh_shah

i require some assistance in my search query where i need to search a mail log to extract the highest recipients by message size based upon a unique common id.

as i am able to search events by the size field to see the values of message size from the senders addresses but i am unable to search this by the recipients address including to show the unique ID.

so i need to combine these two events first showing the message size and then the recipient addresses based upon a common queue ID. i know the stats function is more beneficial than the transaction command as it is costly. Also i believe i am able to chart it through xyseries but i'm unsure how to put this together as i have tried a various types of stats commands trying to put this together but i have a strong feeling i'm not executing it correctly

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@danesh_shah ,

Did you try stats values(recipient ) as recipient ,values(senders) as senders,max(message_size) by unqiue_id

If its not working, would it be possible to share some sample events after masking any sensitive data?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

danesh_shah

Hi - Thanks, how can i produce this as a chart to show each value i.e. message size, unique ID and the recipient address?

0 Karma

danesh_shah

i can visualise this as a chart but it only displays the chart over unique id by message size i need to show the recipients also

0 Karma

danesh_shah

index=maildata sourcetype="email_log"
| stats values(from) as senders ,values(to) as recipients,max(size) as "Message SIze" by qid
| rename qid as "Unique ID"
| sort 10 -"Message Size"

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@danesh_shah , it will be helpful if you have a sample events for both sender and recipient event. Please mask any sensitive information if needed

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...