Splunk Search

regex works on regex101 but not splunk

samneo
Path Finder

Im trying to get a regex to work in splunk that works in regex101

Im using the below regex

\b(a_msg)\b[^"]+"([^"]*)"

this will extract everything after a_msg field and in between the "". I want to save this as a field extraction. Any idea how i can get this to work?

example data

{"log":"a_level=\"INFO\", a_time=\"2021-09-17 07:33:35,210\",  a_msg=\"CommissionRouteType: Client / clientId: 111/ planId: 111 / PolicyBusinessId: 111\","level":"info"}

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@samneo 

Can you please try this?

\b(a_msg)\b[^\"]+\"(?<a_msg>[^\"]*)\"

My Sample Code:

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"log\":\"a_level=\\\"INFO\\\", a_time=\\\"2021-09-17 07:33:35,210\\\",  a_msg=\\\"CommissionRouteType: Client / clientId: 111/ planId: 111 / PolicyBusinessId: 111\\\",\"level\":\"info\"}" |rex field=_raw "\b(a_msg)\b[^\"]+\"(?<a_msg>[^\"]*)\""

Link:

https://regex101.com/r/ZDYHZM/1

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一   😉

If any of my reply helps you to solve the problem Or gain knowledge, an upvote would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@samneo 

Can you please share your sample data and configurations you are using?

KV

0 Karma

samneo
Path Finder

@kamlesh_vaghela Added to original post. There is no special configuration, i just want to be able to add it into field extraction via ui. We have splunk managed cloud so cannot amend from props.conf or any other backend

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@samneo 

Can you please try this?

\b(a_msg)\b[^\"]+\"(?<a_msg>[^\"]*)\"

My Sample Code:

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"log\":\"a_level=\\\"INFO\\\", a_time=\\\"2021-09-17 07:33:35,210\\\",  a_msg=\\\"CommissionRouteType: Client / clientId: 111/ planId: 111 / PolicyBusinessId: 111\\\",\"level\":\"info\"}" |rex field=_raw "\b(a_msg)\b[^\"]+\"(?<a_msg>[^\"]*)\""

Link:

https://regex101.com/r/ZDYHZM/1

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一   😉

If any of my reply helps you to solve the problem Or gain knowledge, an upvote would be appreciated.

samneo
Path Finder

this works perfectly,

thanks @kamlesh_vaghela 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...