Splunk Search

Copy logs from one index to another with use same host information

MesutUgurlu

Hi,

I want to copy some logs in one index to another index with the same host information. I use collect command to do this process. But when i copy, i see that all host information is the same and write search head ip address. So I cant search by looking host information. How can I do it? Can you help me? 

Thanks.

Best Regards

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

MesutUgurlu

Hi @gcusello,

Thank you for replying my question and helping.

I have variable hosts so I ran the command which was your mentioned. But  I do not see the host and sourcetype fields in the new index and also orig_host field.  

Thank you

Best Regards

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @MesutUgurlu,

could you share one or two events in the new index generated by the search I hinted?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @MesutUgurlu,

if the host value is fixed, you could add the "host" option in the search you're using to copy events from indexes, for more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/SearchReference/Collect

If instead it's variable, you could modify you search in something like this:

index=your_index
| table _time host sourcetype _raw
| collect index=your_new_index

in this way you'll be able to use the host field in searches but not using the host field, but the "orig_host" field.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...