Splunk Search

how to search a service that not running on certain hosts

JamesJ
Explorer

Dear Community, 

I am writing a search for windows services. I am trying to find out the number of hosts that having/not having a certain service.  

Here is the search that I have  to find out servers that having the services running: 

index=*_oswin sourcetype="WMI:Service" source="WMI:Service" Name="Appdynamics Machine Agent" | dedup host  | stats sum()

How can I do the second part please? Also, I want to integrate those two numbers into one pie chart. Any suggestion is highly appreicated! 
Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @JamesJ,

you have to create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the monitored servers (only one column with "host").

Then you hav e to modify your search having something like this:

index=*_oswin sourcetype="WMI:Service" source="WMI:Service" Name="Appdynamics Machine Agent" 
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| eval status=if(total=0,"Not present","Present")
| stats count BY status

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @JamesJ 

To find not running services you should have catalog list of services in a lookup or somewhere in splunk.

Can you describe what's first part, second part here that you want to see?

0 Karma

JamesJ
Explorer

Hi Venk,

Thanks for replying. 

The first part is to list all servers that having a particular service (e.g. Spooler) installed.

The second part is to list all servers that don't have this service installed. 

Finally, I want to put the number into a pie chart. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @JamesJ,

you have to create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the monitored servers (only one column with "host").

Then you hav e to modify your search having something like this:

index=*_oswin sourcetype="WMI:Service" source="WMI:Service" Name="Appdynamics Machine Agent" 
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| eval status=if(total=0,"Not present","Present")
| stats count BY status

Ciao.

Giuseppe

JamesJ
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

Appreciate the hints. I will go ahead with a try with input lookup.

Many thanks!

James 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...