Splunk Search

how to create chart for time on X axis and filed on Y axis... pls help am new to splunk and it is very important pls

saisree

This is my data.. now i want to take chart for time vs each command .. if it is possible have to show duration between start and end time of each command.. plz help me ..

03-25-2015 03:04:31.189, cmd_name=cmd1(Start_time_of_if)
03-25-2015 03:09:31.189, cmd_name=cmd1(end_time_of_if)

03-25-2015 03:12:31.189, cmd_name=cmd2(Start_time_of_if)
03-25-2015 03:17:31.189, cmd_name=cmd2(end_time_of_if)
03-25-2015 03:20:31.189, cmd_name=cmd3(Start_time_of_grep)
03-25-2015 03:24:31.189, cmd_name=cmd3(end_time_of_grep)
03-25-2015 03:27:31.189, cmd_name=cmd4(Start_time_of_if)
03-25-2015 03:32:31.189, cmd_name=cmd4(end_time_of_if)
03-25-2015 03:38:31.189, cmd_name=cmd5(Start_time_of_sed_command)
03-25-2015 03:42:31.189, cmd_name=cmd5(end_time_of_sed_command)
03-25-2015 03:49:31.189, cmd_name=cmd6(Start_time_of_if)
03-25-2015 03:55:31.189, cmd_name=cmd6(End_time_of_if)

Thank u

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would use the transaction command. That will give you a duration.

First would be to confirm that the cmd_name is extracted. If not, I'd extract this..

..main search .. | rex field=_raw "cmd_name\=\(?<cmd_name>[^\)]+)\)" 

After you run that, you should see cmd_name is extracted as cmd1,cmd2, etc.

Then add transaction to that..

..main search .. | rex field=_raw "cmd_name\=\(?<cmd_name>[^\)]+)\)"  | transaction cmd_name beginswith="Start_time" endswith="end_time" 

That should give you a per cmd_name transaction. Check the duration fields. You can perform your timechart or stats off of that...

..main search .. | rex field=_raw "cmd_name\=\(?<cmd_name>[^\)]+)\)"  | transaction cmd_name beginswith="Start_time" endswith="end_time" | timechart count by duration

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/SearchReference/Transaction

View solution in original post

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would use the transaction command. That will give you a duration.

First would be to confirm that the cmd_name is extracted. If not, I'd extract this..

..main search .. | rex field=_raw "cmd_name\=\(?<cmd_name>[^\)]+)\)" 

After you run that, you should see cmd_name is extracted as cmd1,cmd2, etc.

Then add transaction to that..

..main search .. | rex field=_raw "cmd_name\=\(?<cmd_name>[^\)]+)\)"  | transaction cmd_name beginswith="Start_time" endswith="end_time" 

That should give you a per cmd_name transaction. Check the duration fields. You can perform your timechart or stats off of that...

..main search .. | rex field=_raw "cmd_name\=\(?<cmd_name>[^\)]+)\)"  | transaction cmd_name beginswith="Start_time" endswith="end_time" | timechart count by duration

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/SearchReference/Transaction

0 Karma

saisree

Thank u for u respond sir.. but i am trying to run rex command its showing like Regex: unmatched parentheses
will u help out of this plz

Thank u

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you resolve the parenthesis error? Cut and paste might have missed a character.

0 Karma

saisree

yes i solved it .. but when i am running whole command its showing no resluts ....I tried a lot but i am not getting sir

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you paste your full search into here. And be sure to use the quotes field.

0 Karma

vasavigangana
Explorer

source="all_option_to_tmp" | rex field=_raw "cmd_name=\(?[^)]+))" | transaction cmd_name startswith="Start_time" endswith="end_time" | timechart count by duration

0 Karma

saisree

pls consider the following search

source="all_option_to_tmp" | rex field=_raw "cmd_name=(?[^]+))" | transaction cmd_name startswith="Start_time" endswith="end_time" |timechart count by duration

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...