Splunk Search

how to add calculated fields into a chart

chongdong
Explorer

I am trying to add 2 new fields into a chart, which is calculated by the exisiting columns in the following chart. Basically I want to add A3=A2/A1, and B3=B2/B1: 

chongdong_0-1642649972961.png

Can anyone suggest which command to use? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this - replace your last chart statement with these two lines - the chart just is renaming the fields and the foreach is doing the calc, i.e. Ratio=TintCount/Zones

| chart sum(tint_count) as TintCount dc(zonename) as Zones by direction type
| foreach TintCount* [ eval "Ratio<<MATCHSTR>>"='<<FIELD>>'/'Zones<<MATCHSTR>>' ]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you provide the query you are using? What happens when you tried what you tried?

0 Karma

chongdong
Explorer

Just found I can directly add sum(___) and dc(___) inside chart command which solved my previous problem lol! Thanks for looking into it though. Now I have a follow up quesion about my post-analysis for adding calculated fileds into the same chart... 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this - replace your last chart statement with these two lines - the chart just is renaming the fields and the foreach is doing the calc, i.e. Ratio=TintCount/Zones

| chart sum(tint_count) as TintCount dc(zonename) as Zones by direction type
| foreach TintCount* [ eval "Ratio<<MATCHSTR>>"='<<FIELD>>'/'Zones<<MATCHSTR>>' ]

0 Karma

chongdong
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion! But it doesn't seem to work

chongdong_0-1642660489110.png

Is the foreach command supposed to insert a new column called Ratio in this case? 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oops thanks @ITWhisperer pointing out the typo

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

dc(zonename) should be dc(zoneName)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...