Splunk Search

extract command

splunkn
Communicator

Hi,

This is sample event. I tried to explore extract command.

index=* sourcetype=orange | extract pairdelim=";", kvdelim=":"

4/18/161:00:00.000 PM 2016-04-18 13:00:00 user:hgfh;std:6;status:success

For the above event its only extracted std as 6 and status as success but not the user. Why is that like. So is it expecting ";" before and after?

And cant we use kvdelim alone in our queries?
index=* sourcetype=orange | extract kvdelim=":"

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

tormodbp
Path Finder

Try specifying space-character as a pair delimiter as well.

index=* sourcetype=orange | extract pairdelim="; " kvdelim=":"

For me that gave the correct and expected result.

user:hgfh
std:6

I suspect that since the kv extract is "mid-sentence" it tries to outrule anything that does not fit exactly with the specified pair delimiter. Thus resulting in the return of only two kv-pairs unless you specify space and semicolon as pair delimiters.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tormodbp
Path Finder

Try specifying space-character as a pair delimiter as well.

index=* sourcetype=orange | extract pairdelim="; " kvdelim=":"

For me that gave the correct and expected result.

user:hgfh
std:6

I suspect that since the kv extract is "mid-sentence" it tries to outrule anything that does not fit exactly with the specified pair delimiter. Thus resulting in the return of only two kv-pairs unless you specify space and semicolon as pair delimiters.

Cheers,

0 Karma

splunkn
Communicator

Thanks tomodbp. Its worked !! aren't we able to use kvdelim alone?

0 Karma

tormodbp
Path Finder

No problem!
I would think that you should be able to, but I am unable to find any documentation to support that claim. I've tried to experiment with the parameters. So far I have not found any other solution using ´kv´ / ´extract´, sorry.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...