Splunk Search

create a field alias for _indextime

Shihua
Engager

Hi everyone,

I would want to ask if I can create a field alias for _indextime and _time then set this alias as a default field for all sourcetype?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Shihua,

it isn't a good idea because many commands as timechart run using _time, in addition you should do this for all sourcetypes! and I'm not sure that's possible!

then why do you want to do this?

you have these fields in epochtime, so you can use them for calculations and _time is automatically displayed in human readable, so why?

if you don't like the fieldname _time, you can rename it at the end of the searches.

You could create at index time a new field from them, but why?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Shihua,

it isn't a good idea because many commands as timechart run using _time, in addition you should do this for all sourcetypes! and I'm not sure that's possible!

then why do you want to do this?

you have these fields in epochtime, so you can use them for calculations and _time is automatically displayed in human readable, so why?

if you don't like the fieldname _time, you can rename it at the end of the searches.

You could create at index time a new field from them, but why?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Shihua ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...