Splunk Search

case sensitive dedup?

blee_i365
Explorer

I have two hosts, one named lower case 'server01', the other named upper case 'SERVER01'. When I do a search such as "foo | dedup host", I only get either server01 or SERVER01, and never both, because apparently dedup is performing case insensitive comparisons. Is there a way to enable case sensitivity?

Thanks much in Advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

RyanAdams
Engager

Generally (from a networking perspective) you shouldn't have two hosts with the same hostname. However, since you do, you could use regex to determine if the hostname is upper or lowercase. For example:

... | rex field=host "(?P<upperHost>[A-Z0-9]+)"| eval hostCase=if(isnotnull(upperHost), "Upper", "Lower")

Then you could run the dedup command against both the host name and the value of hostCase:

... | dedup host, hostCase

That should leave both hostnames in the results.

PS: I havn't been able to test this so the isnotnull() may not work. Instead you may want to use upperHost="".

View solution in original post

0 Karma

TobiasBoone
Communicator

dedup really needs to have an in-case sensitivity option

RyanAdams
Engager

Generally (from a networking perspective) you shouldn't have two hosts with the same hostname. However, since you do, you could use regex to determine if the hostname is upper or lowercase. For example:

... | rex field=host "(?P<upperHost>[A-Z0-9]+)"| eval hostCase=if(isnotnull(upperHost), "Upper", "Lower")

Then you could run the dedup command against both the host name and the value of hostCase:

... | dedup host, hostCase

That should leave both hostnames in the results.

PS: I havn't been able to test this so the isnotnull() may not work. Instead you may want to use upperHost="".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...