Splunk Search

Windows TA field extractions are not working

iainsmart
Engager

Hi,

When I search for Windows Event Logs using :
index=oswin sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog

I'm not getting any parsing/syntax highlighting or field extractions happening. The results are simply the raw XML. I have checked that I am in List format!

If I search for other indexes and sourcetypes I am getting correct parsing/syntax highlighting and extractions.

How can I go about finding out why this is happening and fix it?

Thanks,

Iain

0 Karma

irievibe
Explorer

I have the same problem and have TA everywhere and using verbose mode

The windows event viewer shows

...."Access Request Information:
Transaction ID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Accesses: DELETE
SYNCHRONIZE
ReadAttributes

Access Reasons: DELETE: Granted by D:(A;OICIID;0x1301bf;;;S-1-5-21-4261618638-6163816-2600221728-1136)"

But in Splunk all I see is:

<Data Name='AccessList'>%%1537 %%1541 %%4423 </Data><Data Name='AccessReason'>%%1537: %%1801 😧(A;OICIID;0x1301bf;;;S-1-5-21-4261618638-6163816-2600221728-1136)

I have many fields being parsed, but I don't even see "Accesss" in the raw data. It seems this is not being parsed correctly but also, Splunk isn't even able to read the data from Windows correctly to include Accesses: DELETE in the raw data

0 Karma

irievibe
Explorer

I found that the Windows_TA app had the Security stanza disabled on my indexer. I had it set for forwarder and search head, but the indexer was misconfigured.
EventCode=4656 Accessed=DELETE works for me now

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure you are in Verbose mode and that the Windows TA is installed on your search head.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

iainsmart
Engager

I am in Verbose mode and the TA is installed on the search head

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...