Splunk Search

Why the field is shown by extraction of another field but not found by search?

alval

Hi, as I create an extraction field with regex, the field match is shown correct. I can check the regex on https://regex101.com/. The field is shown in raw events, if I tray to define next field

FieldFound.PNG

But in search the field is not found.

Field extraction regex: (?<=Evaluation: )(?P<evaln_from_tr>.*)(?= NumOfChannels)

Sample log line: [30-Apr-2022 05:52:40][XXX][getResults]Evaluation: zl_numcount NumOfChannels: 1

Permissions: Everybody read and write

Verbose mode search without a new field:  index=XXX sourcetype=XXX host=XXX source="XXX.txt" method=geResults "* NumOfChannels: *"

found 1485 events like example, with different names.

Verbose mode search with a new field: index=XXX sourcetype=XXX host=XXX source="XXX.txt" method=geResults  evaln_from_tr="*"  "* NumOfChannels: *"

found 0 events!

Why the field is shown by extraction of another field but not found by search?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The expressions generated by the Field Extraction wizard aren't the greatest.  Also, based on problems reported here, lookbehind and lookahead operators seem to be an issue.

Try this simpler regex:

Evaluation: (?P<evaln_from_tr>\S*)
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...