Splunk Search

How to match a sequence of events in Splunk?

BlueTeam77

Hello,

My SPL expertise are limited. I'm trying to write a search which matches a sequence of events.

I'm working with sysmon logs from a windows machine.

first event is a file creation event where Image ends with dllhost.exe and TargetFilename starts with C:\windows\system32\. something like:

index=sysmon EventID=11 Image="*dllhost.exe" TargetFilename="C:\\windows\\system32\\*" 

next event is an image load event where Image starts with C:\windows\system32\ and Signature does not start with the keyword "Microsoft ". something like

index=sysmon EventID=7 Image="C:\\windows\\system32\\*" Signature != "Microsoft *"

Value of TargetFilename in Event 1 must be equal to value of ImageLoaded  field in Event 2.

And Event 2 must occur within 1 minute of Event 1.

I tried inner join, where I join results based on TargetFilename from Event 1and ImageLoaded  (renamed) from Event 2, But this solves only first part of the puzzle. I want both events to occur in a sequence i.e. join if Event 2 time is less than 1 minute of Event 1 time.  I don't know how to articulate this with SPL.
Also I'd nice if someone can show me how to do all this with tstats 🙂

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| sort 0 _time
| eval load=if(match(image,"dllhost\.exe") AND event=11,target,if(event=7,image,null()))
| streamstats range(_time) as timespan list(image) as images global=f window=2 by load
| eval previous=if(mvcount(images)=2,mvindex(images,0),null())
| where event=7 AND match(previous,"dllhost\.exe") AND signature="Not Microsoft" AND timespan < 60
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...