Splunk Search

Why isn't my index available for search in a distributed search environment?

rubeniturrieta
Communicator

Hi to everyone

I have a "Distributed Environment", with two indexers, and two search heads.
In the Master Node Indexer, I have an index called ftp, with a lot of data (I want this data available for distributed search). I've deployed "indexes.conf" to "search peers", and I can see the ftp index created in the search peer, but I can't see any data.

What can i do for have this data available for distributed search?

Regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

2 possibilities 1) theres no data in your index (the index is not visible until there are buckets) 2) repFactor=auto wasn't set for the index (that sets the index to be a clustered index, see the indexes.conf.spec file)

see http://answers.splunk.com/answers/170721/why-cant-i-see-non-internal-indexes-in-cluster-mas.html#ans...

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you're working in a distributed environment, you need to create the index in the Cluster Master, under the master-apps, and then push that to all the cluster members.

Quick way to check this is to validate the existence of the index on all the cluster members. If you created this on one indexer, you're calling the master node, in the GUI under indexes, that wont replicate the index or the buckets to the other indexers.

rubeniturrieta
Communicator

And how can i create the index in the Cluster Master under the master-apps?, i've copied the search app folder in the master-apps folder, and then push it, but i think that something is wrong with that.

0 Karma

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

2 possibilities 1) theres no data in your index (the index is not visible until there are buckets) 2) repFactor=auto wasn't set for the index (that sets the index to be a clustered index, see the indexes.conf.spec file)

see http://answers.splunk.com/answers/170721/why-cant-i-see-non-internal-indexes-in-cluster-mas.html#ans...

rubeniturrieta
Communicator

1) There's a lot of data in my index
2) repFactor is set in my index (SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search)

0 Karma

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

is it set for the indexers or the cluster master? (it needs to be set on all the indexers)

0 Karma

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.5/Indexer/Migratenon-clusteredindexerstoaclustereden...

if its migrated from non-clustering, the old buckets will not replicate

rubeniturrieta
Communicator

Yes, you are right, is migrated from non-clustering.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...