Splunk Search

Why is the configuration not applied immediately when a knowledge object is created?

schose
Builder

Hi forum,

I'm currently fighting with an installation of a Searchhead. When a Knowledge Object is created the configuration takes "a while" before it is applied. the behavior is reproducable by e.g.:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd |
head 20

create a setting in props.conf

[splunkd]
eval-test1="test1"

and apply the configuration by running http://localhost:8000/en-US/debug/refresh the configuration needs about 1-3min. to be applied. Rerun the search doesn't show me the field test1.

In a out-of-the-box installation the next search immediatly show me the field after applying the configuration.

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool server list --debug |grep -i interval
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             generation_poll_interval = 5
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             service_interval = 1
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             report_interval = 1m
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             poll.interval.check = 1m
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             poll.interval.rebuild = 1m
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             sampling_interval = 1s
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/server.conf                             sampling_interval = 1s

Any hints? Using v6.3.3.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Andreas

0 Karma

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are in a distributed environment, then there will usually be a delay while Splunk creates and replicates the config bundles. More info on that here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.3/DistSearch/Whatsearchheadssend

Something that you can do to work around this is to use the extract command:

index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype | extract reload=true

More on extract here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.3/SearchReference/Extract

HTH,

Dave

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A good point brought up by @acharlieh is that in your example you have:

[splunkd]
eval-test1="test1"

But the attribute names are case-sensitive, so you should have:

[splunkd]
EVAL-test1="test1"

DMohn
Motivator

Have you checked that 'rerunning the search' actually creates a new search, or just refreshes the existing one?

Check the SID via the job inspector to make sure you are creating a new search, which will then pull the new configuration.

Already run searches will remain valid for a while, even after a refresh.

schose
Builder

Hi,

I see new increasing SID for every search. doing nothing for about 5 min solves the issue, but isn't a solution. 😕

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...