Splunk Search

Why is the append command in my search showing incorrect results?

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

My search looks like this:

base search...
| timechart span=1d  dc(user_id) AS daily_customers
| timechart span=1mon avg(daily_customers) AS avg_daily_customers
| eval avg_daily_customers=round(avg_daily_customers,0)

| append  [base search...
| timechart span=1mon  dc(user_id) AS daily_customers]

The base search is about 14.000.000 events in both cases. The append command shows up incorrect results and I think this is caused by the maxtime and/or timeout . I tried to increase these parameters, but afterwards, nothing is appended.

| append  [base search... maxtime=1800 timeout=1800
| timechart span=1mon  dc(user_id) AS daily_customers]

What am I doing wrong with the append command?

BR

Heinz

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Replace this

... | append [base search... maxtime=1800 timeout=1800 ...]

with this

... | append maxtime=1800 timeout=1800 [...]

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/SearchReference/append

Additionally, I'd question any case that executes the same base search twice only to apply different stats.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Replace this

... | append [base search... maxtime=1800 timeout=1800 ...]

with this

... | append maxtime=1800 timeout=1800 [...]

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/SearchReference/append

Additionally, I'd question any case that executes the same base search twice only to apply different stats.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure if there are limits on these limits, but if you need a six-hour append you're in serious need of some refactoring.

How 'bout something along these lines?

base search | bin span=1d _time | stats count by _time user_id
| eventstats dc(user_id) as daily_customers by _time
| timechart span=1mon avg(daily_customers) AS avg_daily_customers dc(user_id) AS daily_customers
| eval avg_daily_customers=round(avg_daily_customers,0)
0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

I think in practice I would need an append of 15min, I was just interested in the possibilities of these options.
Generally I try to avoid eventstats for large searches, because the search performance was very low, when I used it in the past. But I will give it a try again

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

This works fine, thanks!
Are there limits for these options or can it set them to 6 hours as well?
I used the same base search twice because I wanted to combine a new metric out of both results. This is the only way I was able to do this.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Is it anything more than that you should be using AS monthly_customers instead?

The reason that you get nothing in your last example is because those are settings that go inside limits.conf or on the outiside, not inside your search; when they are inside your search, they are treated as fields and values and since your events do not have a field called maxtime (let alone one with a value of 1800), your search returns 0 events (which is correct).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...