Splunk Search

Why is aggregating by custom Salesforce fields not working?

arist0telis
Explorer

I'm not sure if I'm missing something simple or not, but I've got event logs from my Salesforce instance fed in, as well as the User object, and for some reason I can aggregate on some fields of User but not others ... even though the fields exist in Splunk.

index=sfdc sourcetype=LightningPageViewCSV
|join USER_ID [ search sourcetype=sfdc:user | eval USER_ID=substr(Id,1,len(Id)-3) ]
|stats avg(EFFECTIVE_PAGE_TIME) by Name

// this works to aggregate by the user's name. Not really useful but it was a test to make sure something came through. The substring is b/c one object uses the 18-char Salesforce Id, the other uses the shortened 15-char Id. 

index=sfdc sourcetype=LightningPageViewCSV
|join USER_ID [ search sourcetype=sfdc:user | eval USER_ID=substr(Id,1,len(Id)-3) ]
|stats avg(EFFECTIVE_PAGE_TIME) by State__c,Loc__c

//no results from this for some reason ... State__c and Loc__c are custom fields on User.

index=sfdc sourcetype=sfdc:user
index=sfdc sourcetype=sfdc:user Name="[one of the names from the first query]"

//I run these just to see what I've got in my user object and I can see several people with non-null State__c and Loc__c

This is a new dev org I just spun up so I'm not sure if I missed a step in adding these sources or not. The LightningPageViewCSV is an imported static CSV file of the EventLogFile for testing. The sfdc:user was a one time read in of the User object. Both of these are tied to the sfdc index.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...