Splunk Search

Why does my search with "stats count" return more events than the actual events present?

email2vamsi
Explorer

Stats count returns nine events for Points-1 & 2.
But as shown in the point-3 below, the actual events count is three.
Why is stats count is displaying more? please help.
These fields are extracted manually. Verbose search did not help too.

1) Output:9

index="index_test1" sourcetype="st_test1" Statusfield="Failure"  Service_Name="Service1" Hostname="myhost1"|stats count as Failed

2) Output: myhost1 -> 9

index="index_test1" sourcetype="st_test1" Statusfield="Failure"  Service_Name="Service1" Hostname="myhost1"|stats count by Hostname

3) Output: 3 events

index="index_test1" sourcetype="st_test1" Statusfield="Failure"  Service_Name="Service1" Hostname="myhost1"
Tags (4)

acharlieh
Influencer

For the individual events is Hostname extracted multiple times? (also is your first query actually stats count(Hostname) as failed instead of stats count as failed )?

Take this as a runanywhere example:

|makeresults count=3 | eval Hostname=mvappend("myhost1","myhost1","myhost1") 

I have 3 results, each result has extracted Hostname "myhost1" three times.

doing | stats count(Hostname) after this would return 9 as does | stats count by Hostname... but you can see | stats count returns 3 and |stats dc(Hostname) returns 1

Or all together:

|makeresults count=3 | eval Hostname=mvappend("myhost1","myhost1","myhost1") | multireport [stats count(Hostname) as n1] [stats count as n2 by Hostname] [stats count as n3] [stats dc(Hostname) as n4] [noop]

email2vamsi
Explorer

I have extracted Hostname only once.

For me | stats count returns 9, even though the actual event count is 3 in search.

But in dashbaord both the | stats count and even count are showing 9.

0 Karma

Justin1224
Communicator

This is the description on the Splunk site for stats: Calculates aggregate statistics over the results set, such as average, count, and sum. The only thing I can think of is that it is aggregating the events so that you are seeing the same results but in different ways. I'm very new to Splunk though, so I could very well be wrong

0 Karma

email2vamsi
Explorer

Stats count returns 9.
Three different events gets displayed that are actually present.

0 Karma

Justin1224
Communicator

Are there multiple outputs that are the same? Is it outputting the same thing three times, for the three events you have?

0 Karma

email2vamsi
Explorer

The mismatch of count and events happen to some values, not to all..
Three different events gets displayed that are actually present. 

0 Karma

Justin1224
Communicator

So there are 6 events that are displayed when using stats count that aren't any of the three that are displayed normally?

0 Karma

email2vamsi
Explorer

Yes. In many cases. Many a times the stats count is more than the actual events present.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...