Splunk Search

Why does isnotnull command return true for blank Country field added by iplocation?

frbuser
Path Finder

I am using the iplocation command on an IP based field to add new fields to each event, most importantly the Country field. I want to then filter the output to only entries where the Country field is not blank. I tried using:

Country=* 

but entries with blank values still are returned.

I also tried using:

isnotnull(Country) 

but it returns true where the field is clearly blank. Can anyone explain this behavior?

My query:

index::proxy host::proxyhost sourcetype::bcoat_log 
| regex cs_host="\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}" 
| top cs_host limit=0 
| iplocation cs_host 
| search Country=*
| eval null=if(isnotnull(Country),"true","false")
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Country=* searches for all values of Country, including blank. To find non-blank values, try NOT Country = "".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

frbuser
Path Finder

@richgalloway Entries with blank values still show up with that.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So it does. Sorry about that. Try where instead as in this run-anywhere example:

| makeresults annotate=t 
| eval cs_host="8.8.8.8" 
| iplocation cs_host 
| where isnotnull(Country)
---

frbuser
Path Finder

@richgalloway where also does not work. Per my original question, the problem is that the isnotnull() function is returning true for some fields that are blank.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Blank is not the same as null so isnotnull(blank) is correct.

---
0 Karma

frbuser
Path Finder

@richgalloway what is isnotnull(blank)?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By that I mean a field with blanks for a value is not null. Therefore, isnotnull() will correctly return true for that field.

---
0 Karma

starcher
Influencer

I agree an empty string is not a NULL which is absence of any value. You can do an isnotnull or Len = 0

0 Karma

frbuser
Path Finder

@starcher how do you check that the len of a field is not 0?

0 Karma

starcher
Influencer
0 Karma

frbuser
Path Finder

@starcher eval length=len(Country) doesn't return any numeric value for some fields that have no visible value. These appear to be the null values. If I combine isnotnull(Country) AND NOT len(Country)=0 this appears to work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...