Splunk Search

When creating a field extraction, why am I unable to expand the event to select the fields I want?

packet_hunter
Contributor

Hi All,
I am trying to extract some fields from a large XML file. When I use the "extract new fields" selector, I cannot get the event to expand from the collapsed view of the log file to select the fields I want.

Any way around this?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

Would it possible for you to turn on KV mode as XML to extract search time field extraction.

KV_MODE=xml

If not you might have to try xpath or spath SPL command. Once you feed XML data as a field to xpath or spath, you can define the xml path for field extraction. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Spath

View solution in original post

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

Thank you both for you answers.
@Skoelpin, I have used the regex method before and it works, however with regex101 sometime the regex does not work in Splunk, and if the events are not consistent then the results are missing.

@Niketnilay, you pointed me to the right resource, I found [.... | xmlkv ...] that works!

Thank you both!!

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm interested in seeing what's not working. Can you give me an example of a regular expression that works in regex101 but not in Splunk?

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

I don't have one at the moment, but I have used the regex101 editor to get (regex) the field/values I wanted. Then I put the regex is Splunk and it did not work. When I compared the regex101 expression to the "Extract New Fields" regex the syntax was different. This does not happen a lot but it has caused problems. I will dig around for the regex101 expression but it was a few months ago and probably discarded it. My suggestion would be to compare the regex101 to the regex created by the "Extract New Fields" GUI.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The automatic field extractor in Splunk is very primitive and needs a lot of work. You do need to create the fieldname inside the regular expression after building it in regex101, perhaps you did not include the <FIELD_NAME> inside the capture group (which Splunk requires)?

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

perhaps, most of the time the 101 results worked, ultimately I need the original example to rule out any possible error.

Thanks

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could get around this by doing a search time field extraction using the rex command. I would recommend taking a sample of your data and going to www.regex101.com and paste your sample data in then build a regular expression which matches all your conditions. Once you've done this, you can go to Splunk and format it to include the field name

index=your_base_search | rex \d+\[(?<FieldName>[A-Z0-9]+)

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Would it possible for you to turn on KV mode as XML to extract search time field extraction.

KV_MODE=xml

If not you might have to try xpath or spath SPL command. Once you feed XML data as a field to xpath or spath, you can define the xml path for field extraction. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Spath

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...