Splunk Search

Using `eval` to match all values (or existence) of a field

flow2k
Explorer

Often, we can use eval(myField=someValue)) with aggregate functions like count and avg, as well as time function like per_day, to process matching events. Is there a way for eval to match all values (or equivalently, the existence) of a field? This would be useful for searches like:
timechart per_second(eval(status>-9999))

I tried timechart per_second(eval(status=*)) to no avail.

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

You can use eval(isnotnull(status)) to test for the existence of a field.

tiagofbmm
Influencer

Hi

I believe the following is what you are looking for.

index=_internal
| timechart count(eval(source like "%")) as src

Let me know please

flow2k
Explorer

Thanks for the answer, but I believe the issue with using count instead of per_second (as in my original post) is that it depends on the span - I will get different answers if span=1h vs span=1min. Would you agree?

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

Sorry I tested count and only now tested per_second. The results are coherent though, any aggregation function works the same here.

Answering to your question, yes surely you'll get different results depending on your timespan, because granularity is changing. It is acceptable and somehow expected to produce different results

0 Karma

flow2k
Explorer

Okay, I tried this and it works too. Why does this work - is there documentation on this syntax? Thanks!

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

This works because the eval functions the same way as the syntax of the where command. The "%" replaces the "*".

Feel free to accept the answer if you think it clarified your question

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...