Splunk Search

Using Rex to extract string from event for table

vil505
Explorer

Hi,

I'm sure this is very simple, but I'm fairly new to regex and rex.

I'm trying to use rex to extract a string from the event logs, and then show that sring in a table.

Here is a sample event:

"2016-06-06 12:14:11,114 [RMI TCP Connection(453679)-10.128.110.184]- Remote invocation of " and here would be specifics.

Using the field extractor, I came up with the following:

rex field=_raw "(?ms)^(?:[^ \\n]* ){5}(?P<Remote_Invocation>\\w+\\s+\\w+\\s+)"

This allowed me to use the following search to table it:

index=qp_mds source="/app/logdata/logs/marketdata/performance.log"| rex field=_raw "(?ms)^(?:[^ \\n]* ){5}(?P<Remote_Invocation>\\w+\\s+\\w+\\s+)"| Table Remote_Invocation

However, all my table shows is Remote Invocation where the event should be. I can get the string if I table _raw, but it give me the whole string, whereas I only want what is after Remote invocation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The field extractor can be hit-or-miss. Sometimes it's too specific. Try this:

index=qp_mds source="/app/logdata/logs/marketdata/performance.log"| rex "Remote invocation of (?<Remote_Invocation>.*)" | Table Remote_Invocation
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | rex "Remote\s+Invocation\s+of\s+(?<Remote_Invocation>.+)" | stats count by Remote_Invocation

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The field extractor can be hit-or-miss. Sometimes it's too specific. Try this:

index=qp_mds source="/app/logdata/logs/marketdata/performance.log"| rex "Remote invocation of (?<Remote_Invocation>.*)" | Table Remote_Invocation
---

vil505
Explorer

No, that didn't work. Now the just shows up blank.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This run-anywhere example works in my environment.

| metadata type=sourcetypes | head 1 | eval string="2016-06-06 12:14:11,114 [RMI TCP Connection(453679)-10.128.110.184]- Remote invocation of and here would be specifics." | rex field=string "Remote invocation of (?<Remote_Invocation>.*)" | Table Remote_Invocation
---
0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you paste in an event without the obfuscation (or at least with far far less obfuscation)?

You could try a minor variant of richgalloway's answer in case there are differences in spacing:

index=qp_mds source="/app/logdata/logs/marketdata/performance.log"| rex "Remote\s+invocation\s+of\s+(?<Remote_Invocation>.*)" | Table Remote_Invocation

How many events contain the "Remote invocation" string? You could try limited your search to only those events up front, in case it's just that it's in such a small percentage it doesn't show up all over:

index=qp_mds source="/app/logdata/logs/marketdata/performance.log" "Remote invocation"| rex "Remote\s+invocation\s+of\s+(?<Remote_Invocation>.*)" | Table Remote_Invocation
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...