Splunk Search

Use lookup table to specify hosts to search

jevenson
Path Finder

Is there a way to use a lookup table to have a list of host, and use that list to only search logs for those hosts?

For exmaple, if I have a lookup table like this:

host,description
server1,Description of server1
server2,Description of server2
server3,Description of server3

Can I run a search that only searches server1/2/3, but would not look at server4/5/6?

Basically I'm trying to avoid having to specify host=server1 OR host=server2 OR host=server3 in each search.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

Most definitely. Use a subsearch for this, it's pretty much exactly what it's for.

youroutersearch [| inputlookup yourlookuptable | fields host]

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

Most definitely. Use a subsearch for this, it's pretty much exactly what it's for.

youroutersearch [| inputlookup yourlookuptable | fields host]

Ayn
Legend

Best thing is to add that as its own question, and we'll take it from there.

0 Karma

jevenson
Path Finder

Perfect, this was even easier than I thought. I've got another related question. I'm trying to get a weighted ratio of errors per server. If I have a lookup table like this

host,percent
server1,33
server2,33
server3,33

How would I use the lookup table to multiply the errors on a per server basis?

Normally I'd do something like | chart count by host, but I want a weighted count based on that percent.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...