Splunk Search

Upgrading Splunk 8.0.x to 9.0.x

splunkcol
Builder

I currently have a Heavy Forwarder that forwards logs to Splunk Cloud but the heavy forwarder version is at version 8.0.6 and I have started to have problems with this add-on (DB Connect) as I can connect to the database, splunk detects the table but does not read the tables contents to ingest them.

After asking for support I was told that I had an outdated version of DB Connect in version 3.4.0 and I should update it to version 3.12.2.

I just updated it and I still have problems with the add-in, I guess now I should focus on updating the version of Splunk that I use as Fowarder to the latest version.

I would be grateful if you could let me know if I need to upgrade Splunk from version 8.0.6 splunk 9.x to Splunk 9.x:

1. login via ssh
2. Stop the splunk service from /opt/splunk/bin
3. Back up the splunk folder using the command tar -czvf splunk.tar.gz splunk and delete the uncompressed folder.
4. Download version 8.1.x or 8.2.x first before upgrading to version 9.x (as recommended in the documentation).
5. Proceed with the installation of the 8.1.x or 8.2.x version.
6. I download version 9.x and install it.

Please let me know if I have omitted anything or if there are any errors in the list I have described.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

you're right: the procedure you described is the correct one.

You have only to update the other add-ons that you have on this HF at the end.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

you're right: the procedure you described is the correct one.

You have only to update the other add-ons that you have on this HF at the end.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...