Splunk Search

Unable to get count when variable names has a "-"

vjzone
Path Finder

One of the queries i'm using has a variable with a "-" and splunk is unable to get me the stats count using the variable.

Example : your search | stats count by Order-Type

Is there a limitation on the variable names to be used in splunk?

Note: I did get the final result by using regex.
Example: your search | rex field=raw "Order-Type=(?[\"A-Z ]+)" | stats count by type

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vjzone
Path Finder

I got the answer after talking to a friend. Splunk parsed the field Order-Type as Order_Type(listed in interesting fields of verbose mode).

All i needed to do was "your search | stats count by Order_Type"

Thanks guys!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

I got the answer after talking to a friend. Splunk parsed the field Order-Type as Order_Type(listed in interesting fields of verbose mode).

All i needed to do was "your search | stats count by Order_Type"

Thanks guys!

0 Karma

nadlurinadluri
Communicator

Right!! thats actually true, splunk converts '-' to '_' at the time of ingestion.

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

This is weird. I can no longer do a stats count by with variables separated by -. I think i was able to do this earlier. Is there something s Splunk admin could do to disable this?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this

... rename *-* AS ** ... | stats count by OrderType
0 Karma

nadlurinadluri
Communicator

I did try to replicate the same scenario and for me its working fine without any issues. If you are not getting the desired results using @richgalloway`s response, try creating a new filed for Order-Type using the below command.
|eval OrderType='Order-Type'
|stats count by OrderType

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

Updated the example: your search | rex field=raw "Order-Type=(?[\"A-Z ]+)" | stats count by type

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The stats command is probably trying to subtract field 'Type' from field 'Order' and is failing because neither field exists. Try one of the following:

1) ... | stats count by 'Order-Type'

2) ... | rename "Order-Type" as OrderType | stats count by OrderType | rename OrderType as "Order-Type"

3) Use a different field name without a hyphen in it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

I have already tried #1 and #2, but that doesn't seem to work. #3 is not an option without a code change and i do not want to take that route.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...