Splunk Search

Transaction command - Way to change from timestamp to a different field?

Maycockk
Explorer

Good morning all,

I'm leveraging the transaction command in order to gather statistics around the duration of my requests in order to report on them. By default the transaction command leverages the _time field (timestamp) to calculate the duration for the transaction. However, the issue I'm facing is the timestamp appear to have intermittent jumps in it that's skewing my numbers. I'd assume it's just forwarded config perhaps.

I do have a second, more accurate, timestamps available to me that I'd like to leverage "ServerTime" which has been added to our events. I'm just trying to understand if I can override the transaction command to use the ServerTime field I have rather than the timestamp?

See attached screenshots demonstrating the issue. Thx in advance everyone  🙂

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You can rewrite "_time" to be a valid timestamp from your event data, and then the transaction command will use that value instead.

For example, if you have a field called ServerTime in the format "12/02/2020 09:32:24 AM":

index=main source=http:xxxx ServiceName=xxxx OR ServiceName=xxxx CorrelationID=xxxx |rex xxxxxxxx|eval _time=strptime(ServerTime,"%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") |transaction RawCorrelationID |stats count by duration

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You can rewrite "_time" to be a valid timestamp from your event data, and then the transaction command will use that value instead.

For example, if you have a field called ServerTime in the format "12/02/2020 09:32:24 AM":

index=main source=http:xxxx ServiceName=xxxx OR ServiceName=xxxx CorrelationID=xxxx |rex xxxxxxxx|eval _time=strptime(ServerTime,"%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") |transaction RawCorrelationID |stats count by duration

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

Maycockk
Explorer

Perfect, worked a charm! Thank you kindly

0 Karma

Maycockk
Explorer

Here is a screenshot showing difference in _time timestamp however around same time as per ServerTime field we have available.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...