Splunk Search

Timechart x-axis customized time

abhi144

I am getting date from my device in search date field like date=20140408045219. So i wanted to show the time chart according to date field in x-axis not _time. Any suggestion will be helpful?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might be able to do something like this:

base search | eval _time = strptime(date, "%Y%m%d%H%M%S") | timechart ...

However, do consider if it makes sense to use that date field as the actual _time value when indexing future data.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

HMTODD
Explorer

You may want to try the chart command. "Unlike the timechart command which generates a chart with the _time field as the x-axis, the chart command produces a table with an arbitrary field as the x-axis."

0 Karma

abhi144

Thanks for your suggestion martin. But it still taking _time on x-axis its not taking my time which is coming through eval _time = strptime(date, "%Y%m%d%H%M%S").

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might be able to do something like this:

base search | eval _time = strptime(date, "%Y%m%d%H%M%S") | timechart ...

However, do consider if it makes sense to use that date field as the actual _time value when indexing future data.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When I run this over here:

index=_internal | head 1 | eval date="20140408045219" | eval _time = strptime(date, "%Y%m%d%H%M%S") | timechart count

I get a blip at 4:52AM rather than now (3:50PM).

It's still using the field called _time, but with the value you've changed it to.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...