Splunk Search

Timechart visualization does not match statistics

Sukisen1981
Champion

I have a csv with just 2 columns Time & memory. the events look like this, so this is basically a csv extract of a server memory utilization for April 3rd from 12:00 AM - 11:30 PM at an interval of 10 mins.
Time Event
4/3/20 4/3/2020 23:34,98%
11:34:00.000 PM

When i run a very simple query - index="memory"|timechart count
The statistics tab looks ok
alt text

however for some reason the visulaization tab is pushed back and starts from April 2nd
alt text

Of course i thought it to be an issue with the time modifiers and tried tinkering like this
index="memory" |rex field=_raw "(?.*?)\,"|eval time=strptime(time,"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")|eval _time=time |timechart count
In the rex for 'time' I am extracting it from the event(_raw) and NOT the first CSV columb 'Time'.
BUT the output remains the same, namely the issue is the statistics tab looks absolutely correct but the viz tab gets pushed back .
Any clues?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @richgalloway and @to4kawa
I am happy to say that the issue is fixed and I want to apologize for wasting your time as well. Now, this is my local version and I am in India (Kolkata,Chennai etc time zone). I noticed that the events were getting pushed back by 5.5 hours in the timechart viz, which means I was getting defaulted to GMT.
So, I did 2 steps
1- I uploaded the CSV fresh, and went for advanced extraction, under the timezone, I set the time zone for India
alt text

2- I am logging in as admin and I changed the admin user's timezone to IST.
alt text

I am sure probably step 2 is all that is needed, but hey am not tinkering anything now. I am sorry once again, I should have specified the time zone gap(that events were getting defaulted to GMT and not IST) in my original post.
I have lingering doubts though, because once I change the _time settings forcefully with an extracted filed and set _time=extracte_time...irrespective of the timezone settings the timehchart viz should work , but maybe I am wrong.
Once again sorry for the bother, it was my mistake. I forgot this was my local and not my customer's splunk instance where timezones are already set up by the admin team 🙂 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @richgalloway and @to4kawa
I am happy to say that the issue is fixed and I want to apologize for wasting your time as well. Now, this is my local version and I am in India (Kolkata,Chennai etc time zone). I noticed that the events were getting pushed back by 5.5 hours in the timechart viz, which means I was getting defaulted to GMT.
So, I did 2 steps
1- I uploaded the CSV fresh, and went for advanced extraction, under the timezone, I set the time zone for India
alt text

2- I am logging in as admin and I changed the admin user's timezone to IST.
alt text

I am sure probably step 2 is all that is needed, but hey am not tinkering anything now. I am sorry once again, I should have specified the time zone gap(that events were getting defaulted to GMT and not IST) in my original post.
I have lingering doubts though, because once I change the _time settings forcefully with an extracted filed and set _time=extracte_time...irrespective of the timezone settings the timehchart viz should work , but maybe I am wrong.
Once again sorry for the bother, it was my mistake. I forgot this was my local and not my customer's splunk instance where timezones are already set up by the admin team 🙂 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried changing the time picker from "All time" to the window you expect for the viz?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @richgalloway - Strange, when i changed the time picker to last 24 hrs...i got a 'no results found'. I uploaded the CSV today. At any rate why would the time picker be affecting just the visualization and NOT the stats tab?
Is this a bug?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It certainly is strange.
When you uploaded the data is not as relevant as the _time value for the events. That is what Splunk looks at to satisfy the time picker.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @to4kawa . I suspected that, but didn't work. below is my settings in props.conf under local for the relevant sourcetype

[mem]
DATETIME_CONFIG = current
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
KV_MODE = none
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
category = Structured
description = Comma-separated value format. Set header and other settings in "Delimited Settings"
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

your props.conf is not DATETIME_CONFIG = current
check props.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...