Splunk Search

Timechart count with split-by not adding up

asetyyli
Explorer

I have 191 events logged for a specific day.

When I do a

timechart span=1d count

I get count of 191 for that day as expected. But when trying to get a count of events split by a field

timechart span=1d count by userclass

the sum of columns generated according to the userclass add up to 194 (I have three userclasses, 100+26+68 = 194).

Is this a bug or am I missing something how the split-by clause works?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do any events have multiple userclass values?

Here's a dummy example:

| stats count | eval userclass = "foo bar baz" | makemv userclass | stats count by userclass

This generates one event with three userclass values, giving you a total of three after the final stats.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do any events have multiple userclass values?

Here's a dummy example:

| stats count | eval userclass = "foo bar baz" | makemv userclass | stats count by userclass

This generates one event with three userclass values, giving you a total of three after the final stats.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Done and done.

0 Karma

asetyyli
Explorer

Yes, some of the userclass field values were multivalues by mistake. Thanks for the tip! Can you make an answer out of your comment, so I can accept it?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...