Splunk Search

Timechart - Use with other time values in event not _time

robwheeler
Engager

I currently have a feed that indexes fine, however within the message there are various other timestamps that I'd like to use to create visualizations etc. How can I use these to for the visualization and ignore the _time value?

LAST_SCAN_DATETIME is the field picked for _time, which is the best fit indexing.

Other fields are below that I want to use in search/visualizations -

FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME
LAST_FOUND_DATETIME
LAST_TEST_DATETIME
LAST_UPDATE_DATETIME

all appear in this format:

2017-05-23T12:20:33Z

YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ

Regards

Rob

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@robwheeler You would need to convert your String Time to epoch time using strptime first and then override _time with your epoch time prior to the timechart command.

Following is run-anywhere search for testing String Time to Epoch Time conversion

| makeresults
| eval FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME="2017-05-23T12:20:33Z"
| eval FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME=strptime(FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ")
| fieldformat FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME=strftime(FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ")

PS: Fieldformat changes display value (string time) while retaining underlying data (epoch time).

Following is the search you would need to plot timechart specific to your Time fields

<YourBaseSearch>
| eval FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME="2017-05-23T12:20:33Z"
| eval _time = FIRST_FOUND_DATETIME
| <Your Timechart command>

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...