Splunk Search

Taking daily "OPEN"/"CLOSED" reports and creating a monthly avg

Username1
Path Finder

So suppose that everyday Splunk takes in a report that houses 9 different fields, one of which is called 'status'. Status has the option of being 'New', 'Closed', or 'Open'. I'm trying to show a time-chart that shows the average count per month of reports that have 'Closed' and'Open'. status , along with the difference of the two (everyday). I have found how to do the difference between'Open' and 'Closed'. But I cannot figure out how to find the monthly average for 'Open' and 'Closed', does anyone have any ideas how to query this? 

index=blah... |   timechart span=1mon count(report_date) by status | eval difference=abs(OPEN - CLOSED) 

This is where I'm stuck, how do I get the monthly average of the particular status fields?

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

index=foo 
| bin _time span=1d
| stats count(eval(if(status="OPEN",report_date,NULL))) as OPEN count(eval(if(status="CLOSED",report_date,NULL))) as CLOSED by _time
| bin _time span=1month
| stats sum(OPEN) as OPEN sum(CLOSED) as CLOSED avg(OPEN) as avgOPEN avg(CLOSED) as avgCLOSED by _time
| eval difference=abs(OPEN-CLOSED)

There is not the logs, so I'm not sure.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this search.

index=foo 
| timechart span=1mon count(report_date) by status 
| appendpipe [stats avg(*) as * | eval _time="Average" | foreach * [eval <<FIELD>>=round(<<FIELD>>,2)]]

The appendpipe command adds the stats results at the bottom of the events.  I used foreach to round off the averages to 2 digits. 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Username1
Path Finder

Hi @richgalloway , thank you for responding to my question. I ran your search query as the code below to see what the results would be. You're query works that it gives me the final average for all of the months, but not the average for each month. How do you think we can modify this to have an average of "OPEN" for every month? Does it have something to do with the span=1mon? Look forward to hearing your thoughts

index=foo 
| timechart span=1mon count(report_date) by status 
| appendpipe [stats avg(OPEN) as avgOPEN | eval _time="Average"]

Username1_0-1595617377385.png

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

index=foo 
| bin _time span=1d
| stats count(eval(if(status="OPEN",report_date,NULL))) as OPEN count(eval(if(status="CLOSED",report_date,NULL))) as CLOSED by _time
| bin _time span=1month
| stats sum(OPEN) as OPEN sum(CLOSED) as CLOSED avg(OPEN) as avgOPEN avg(CLOSED) as avgCLOSED by _time

There is not the logs, so I'm not sure.

Username1
Path Finder

Hi @to4kawa , Thanks for responding to my question as well. I ran your query and it returns the sum of the numbers of the month (see the picture), which I believe is being caused by the span =1mon. I ran the numbers manually and the average of OPEN for January should be 287. There is a csv everyday of each month that shows what reports are OPEN (so 31 csv in January), so maybe we should be doing span=1d and then doing an average of each month...unsure if thats the best path forward but I'm open for suggestions. 

Username1_0-1595618647249.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

my query is updated. please check latest. @Username1 

Username1
Path Finder

@to4kawa That worked amazingly and it returns exactly what I was looking for! I don't fully understand your query, but I'm going to go look into how 'bin' operates and try to reconstruct your logic. Thank you again for assisting me with this, much appreciated. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...