Splunk Search

Sumary index not extracting fields as in source index

anantdeshpande
Path Finder

Hi team,

I want to copy complete data to summary just because it has longer retention period in my environment. I am not doing any stats on data. Below command works fine and I can see the data as per scheduled report. However when I look at the data in summary index, the fields are not extrated as it is in source index.

I serached and feel that writing transforms is the only way to extract fields in summary index. Can some one confirm.

index=index123 source=test.csv sourcetype=new | collect index=index123_summary source=test.csv sourcetype=new

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

As a general case, yes.

If you haven't specified the fields to save to the summary index, then probably you are saving _raw and a few other fields, and you are going to have to specify, for the system, all the extractions that it has already been told how to do on the old data. Presumably, most of those are related to the old sourcetype, so you should be able to clone the old sourcetype stanzas to the new ones, without having to replicate the transforms themselves.

This attempt should be subjected to extensive testing in your test/dev/qa environment if you have one.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

As a general case, yes.

If you haven't specified the fields to save to the summary index, then probably you are saving _raw and a few other fields, and you are going to have to specify, for the system, all the extractions that it has already been told how to do on the old data. Presumably, most of those are related to the old sourcetype, so you should be able to clone the old sourcetype stanzas to the new ones, without having to replicate the transforms themselves.

This attempt should be subjected to extensive testing in your test/dev/qa environment if you have one.

0 Karma

anantdeshpande
Path Finder

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...