Splunk Search

Subsearch all events in another index

superuser88
Engager

I have two indexes

Index accounts: [user. payroll]

Index employees: [user, emp_details, emp_information]

I am trying to use a search to search all the 1 million users in index users to search for the corresponding details of the same user in different index which contains 20 million records.

I tried something like

index=accounts user=*

| join type=left user [search index=employees | fields user,  emp_details,  emp_information]
| table user, emp_details, emp_information

But its not search all the users and joining all the users. 

Labels (3)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can't reliably use subsearches as the volumes are too big and you can only join on 50,000 rows.

As @aromanauskas suggests, use a index 1 OR index2 approach and combine the two data sets using stats ... by common field.

0 Karma

aromanauskas
Path Finder

So the dataset here is important so not sure which of these you're really looking for. 

If you just want to search all the data and combine it by user.

(index=accounts user=*) OR (index=employees  user=*  emp_details=*  emp_information=*)
| stats latest(emp_details) AS emp_details latest(emp_information) AS emp_information values(index) AS indexes by user 

But that assumes you want to combine things regardless of if user exists in 1 or 2 indexes.  

If you just want to do a search for users in one index ONLY if they exist in the other index.. 

index=employees emp_information=* emp_details [ | search index=accounts user=* | stats count by user | fields user | format ] | table user, emp_details, emp_information 

The problem here though is you don't get a notification if the user existed in accounts but NOT in employees. 

If you're looking for something else please describe it. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...