Splunk Search

Static Fields

tepus
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I'm going through the course Splunk Fundamentals 2 and I'm sorry if the question is too easy: what does it mean for a field to be 'static'? Namely, in the slide 151 of Splunk 7.X Fundamentals Part 2 (IOD).pdf, it is stated:
'Use FX to extract fields that are static...'
But I couldn't find any definition of a 'static' field in the documentation. What does it mean?

Any help is appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

tepus
Explorer

Hi again,

Here is a just-received answer from an official Splunk instructor from the Splunk Fundamentals 2 course:

In the context of field extraction, "static" means that the value of the field will not change in terms of the regex created to extract that field. After the regex is created, Splunk will extract only the results of that regex - any change will result in the regex not working, and produce an error.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tepus
Explorer

Hi again,

Here is a just-received answer from an official Splunk instructor from the Splunk Fundamentals 2 course:

In the context of field extraction, "static" means that the value of the field will not change in terms of the regex created to extract that field. After the regex is created, Splunk will extract only the results of that regex - any change will result in the regex not working, and produce an error.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @tepus,
I don't know what they mean with "static", I can suppose that they would mean "stable" and available for searches, in other words, fields extracted with FX are available for others searches , instead if you extract a field using the rex command, field is useful only in that search.

ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

tepus
Explorer

It makes sense to me. Thanks @gcusello !

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @tepus,
if this answer solves your problem, please accept and/or upvote it for the other members of Community.
Ciao and next time.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...