Splunk Search

Splunk parsing date incorrectly

fraserhardy

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could do with a quick straightforward answer for this one.

We have a text based logfile which has each line starting with dd/MM/yy - HH:mm:ss (05/08/11 - 09:51:32)

The problem is that splunk is reading the date as MM/dd/yy, so our logs are all over the place, over the last 3 days we now have logs for 8th march, 8th april, and 8th may....

The logs are collected by a Universal forwarder on a windows server.

Which config file do I need to edit and what do I need to edit it with to get this to start parsing the date correctly?

Many Thanks,
Fraser

0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

The file to edit or add is props.conf (for instance in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local).

Let's say the sourcetype for your log is "mylog". In that case you'll need to add this to props.conf:

[mylog]
TIME_FORMAT = %d/%m/%y - %H:%M:%S

These changes will take effect on new events that are indexed after restarting Splunk.

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

The file to edit or add is props.conf (for instance in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local).

Let's say the sourcetype for your log is "mylog". In that case you'll need to add this to props.conf:

[mylog]

These changes will take effect on new events that are indexed after restarting Splunk.

fraserhardy

Just to update.. I got it working by replacing the drive letter in the source.

[source::...MGR1.1\system\SYSTEM.LOG]

0 Karma

dmlee
Communicator

in your case , props.conf should be put on indexer not on UF
(http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Where_do_I_configure_my_Splunk_settings%3F )

0 Karma

fraserhardy

Thanks for the quick response. I have just tried that however the latest logs are still coming in with the incorrect date.
I restarted both splunk server and the universal forwarder.

Should the .conf file be put on the splunk server or the server with the universal forwarder? or both?

I have put this in the props file.

[source::V:\MGR1.1\system\SYSTEM.LOG]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...