Splunk Search

Splunk - Stat count return wrong values

florentsplunk
Engager

Hi,

I am totally puzzled.

I have two (unrelated) Splunk installations with SAME index and event structure (... everything).

- One platform (installed on private linux host) returns perfectly coherent Search Stat "counts"

- The other platform (on a AWS EC2) returns WRONG counts (like x2, x4 depending on the grouping criteria).

SCENARIO:

- I send 3 JSON events. Each event has one "correlationId" top-level JSON field with the same value. So filtering on that corelationId = xxx does return 3 perfectly coherent events (on both platforms).  
See "base-search-local-OK.jpg", "base-search-aws-OK.jpg" attachments.

- Then i run a Search "Stat" with a count grouped by correlationId. The result on the AWS platform is very WRONG by a factor of 4 (it returns 12 instead of 3!!!).   See stat-search-local-OK.jpg, stat-search-aws-WRONG.jpg.

While i am not an expert at Splunk, i have investigated for hours without understanding the root cause. I am a more advanced ELK user, but never experienced such puzzling questions.

==> There has to be something related to the difference with the platforms HOSTS. Why is Splunk on AWS host result so different to my local linux install. Can this be related to the network configuration?... no clue.

Thanks a lot if that rings a bell to you.
kind regards.
-Florent.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nyc_jason
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I notice this is mulesoft in json, and in one instance you have the HEC sourcetype, and in another, its just the application name. In the props.conf for extraction, ensure you have KV_MODE=json, or it may take things line by line. Similar to this:

TRUNCATE = 0

LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)

SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = JSON

KV_MODE = JSON

When sending to HEC, you can specify the payload as an event or raw, one of while will get parsed. See here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Data/FormateventsforHTTPEventCollector#Event_pars...

I suspect, you are doube parsing one and not the other, as they seem to be coming in from different sources.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nyc_jason
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I notice this is mulesoft in json, and in one instance you have the HEC sourcetype, and in another, its just the application name. In the props.conf for extraction, ensure you have KV_MODE=json, or it may take things line by line. Similar to this:

TRUNCATE = 0

LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)

SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = JSON

KV_MODE = JSON

When sending to HEC, you can specify the payload as an event or raw, one of while will get parsed. See here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Data/FormateventsforHTTPEventCollector#Event_pars...

I suspect, you are doube parsing one and not the other, as they seem to be coming in from different sources.

0 Karma

florentsplunk
Engager

Jschogel,

Thank you for your response: this is the right direction!

Note: the two "source types" have been designed "manually" in each Splunk install/instances and the names/description as you have well seen in the event are effectively different, but this is just naming difference. The *intent* was to have exact same settings.

Upon investigations, i can see a difference in the "/etc/system/local/props.conf" file.

### Instance with WRONG Counts:

[mule-service-audit-json]

DATETIME_CONFIG =
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = logTimestamp
category = Structured
description = Mule application logging service audit
pulldown_type = 1
disabled = false

### Instance with RIGHT Counts:

[mule-service-audit-json]

DATETIME_CONFIG =
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
        KV_MODE = none
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = logTimestamp
category = Structured
description = Mule application logging service audit
disabled = false
pulldown_type = 1

The only difference is the explicit mention of "KV_MODE = none" in the instance RIGHT config.
I have upgraded the instance with WRONG stat counts with this additional property in the prop.conf, and the counts are now CORRECT.

Special thx to you. 
I am not sure how i introduced this difference while manually creating the source type configuration. I may have clicked on some Advanced setting by mistake and delete the KV_MODE=non property.

I understand that IF KV_MODE is not set, then Splunk will assume a value of "AUTO", with an automated detection of KV expressions. This triggered the multiple extractions.

I also understand that "KV_MODE=json" should not be put TOGETHER with "INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json", as it could result in duplicate extraction. 

So i have left the KV_MODE=none.

Thank you very much and kind regards.
-Florent.

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Are the indexers standalone or clustered?

The difference in your results sounds like what occurs when you connect to indexer cluster members as directly as peers rather than as a cluster member with the search head role. You'll receive N*RF events, where N is the number of distinct matching events and RF is the cluster's replication factor.

0 Karma

florentsplunk
Engager

hi tscroggins, thx - but there is no cluster setup. Just a single basic Splunk unzip/run.

kind regards.

-Florent.

0 Karma

florentsplunk
Engager

Attachments.base-search-local-ok.jpgbase-search-local-ok.jpgbase-search-aws-ok.jpgbase-search-aws-ok.jpgstat-search-local-OK.jpgstat-search-local-OK.jpgstat-search-aws-WRONG.jpgstat-search-aws-WRONG.jpg

0 Karma

florentsplunk
Engager

Part of the investigations, i copied the whole splunk install (tar archive /opt/splunk) from the working machine to the AWS host. The copied Splunk install on AWS shows correct counts, similar to the original local host.

So there has to be a difference in the setup. I cannot figure out what difference exist between the working setup and the wrong one. I have tried re-install and configure splunk "from scratch" on the AWS host at least 3 times, and stat counts were never right.

Q: What factors can explain that a search like:

index=mule-service-audit correlationId=7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e | stats count(correlationId) by correlationId

Returns a count of  "12" while there are ONLY 3 events with such a correlationId value?
Every event introspection shows there are only 3 such events. Just the Stat Count is WRONG.  

Thank you if you can help troubleshoot this behaviour. 

Kind regards.
-Florent.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried

| stats count by correlationId
0 Karma

florentsplunk
Engager

Hello ITWhisperer,
For 3 Events with same correlationId:

"| stats count(correlationId) by correlationId" returns a count of 12

"| stats count by correlationId" returns a count of 6

This is still twice what is expected.

Thank you.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have multivalue fields because these can generate counts greater than number of events?

| makeresults | eval _raw="correlationId
7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e
7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e,7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e
7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e,7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e,7613a66db09e476eb24a78a6508ed48e"
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval correlationId=split(correlationId,",")
| stats count by correlationId
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...