Splunk Search

Simple XML drilldown link search won't recognize regex or rex

flegel2
Explorer

I have a dashboard panel with a table. I am able to change the drilldown search when selecting a row in the panel table to open a new window with the new search:

<search>
          <query>index=$Environment$ ( program=*shot_director OR program=cryo_director* ) shot_Id=$shotIdPattern$ "Commanded|GoToState" | sort _time | table _time,program,shot_Id,slc_State</query>
          <earliest>$shotEarliest$</earliest>
        </search>
        <drilldown>
          <link target="_blank">
            /app/search/search?q=search index=$Environment$ "&lt;macro_step_complete&gt;" "Execution of Macro Step " shot_id=$shotIdPattern$ | eval subsystem=shot_supervisor | sort -_time 
          </link>
        </drilldown>    

but when I add the regex

| rex field=taxon (?<ss>[^|]*)[|]

creating

/app/search/search?q=search index=$Environment$ "&lt;macro_step_complete&gt;" "Execution of Macro Step " shot_id=$shotIdPattern$ | rex field=taxon (?&lt;ss&gt;[^|]*)[|] | eval subsystem=shot_supervisor | sort -_time 

the search window created results in:

index=iccs_int "<macro_step_complete>" "Execution of Macro Step " shot_id=N160613-003* | rex field=taxon (

in the search box and the error

Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex '(': Regex: missing ) 

It seems the "?" in the regex is being consumed before it is being sent to the search app.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

manikyasandeepg
Explorer

Is it working for you now? I have the same issue.

0 Karma

wilsonite
Explorer

Every "?" in the search string must be replaced with %3F. The only exception is if you are editing .XML dashboard. In which, you will replace all except for the first one at the beginning of the link section.

<link target="_blank">search?q=

All other ?s must be changed to %3F whether in the extraction, or when escaped out in matching text.

0 Karma

vsingla1
Communicator

@flegel2 I fixed it by placing the ASCII value of ? in the query. Its ASCII value is %3F

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The rex string needs to be in double-quotes like this:

| rex field=taxon "(?<ss>[^|]*)[|]"
0 Karma

flegel2
Explorer

The quotes has no effect on the results.

0 Karma

rrovers
Communicator

if you save your search as a 'saved search' and call the drilldown as a link target in your dashboard the rex should work.
so:
dashboard:
search?q=|savedsearch [name of savedsearch]
If you've used arguments in your saved search you should als use them in the link of course.
Saved search:
Here you can use the rex syntax as usualy.

wilsonite
Explorer

This solution works correctly as well.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try using CDATA, like this

<link>
<![CDATA[
  /app/search/search?q=search index=$Environment$ "<macro_step_complete>" "Execution of Macro Step " shot_id=$shotIdPattern$ | rex field=taxon (?<ss>[^|]*)[|] | eval subsystem=shot_supervisor | sort -_time 
]]>
</link>
0 Karma

flegel2
Explorer

Using CDATA has no effect on the results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...