Splunk Search

Search for device type

brian_runyon

I want to determine how many times a call has been completed or attempted by searching for a specic device name/type (ex. ABC12345).

I've tried sourcetype=ABC*, sourcetype="ABC*" and get no results.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm not sure what kind of data you are looking at but sourcetype classifies the type of data. So, for example access_combined apache web logs, or Windows Event logs etc....Go to Manager -> Search App. Then you'll see a summary of sources, sourcetypes and hosts. You can click on one of those links and it will modify your search specifically to that type of data.

Just put ABC in the your search bar and that will give you what you are looking for or something like host="ABC*" OR host="AB*" etc...which would be more specific than just searching for ABC*.

Take a look at some examples here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/User/Searchexamplestutorial

View solution in original post

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm not sure what kind of data you are looking at but sourcetype classifies the type of data. So, for example access_combined apache web logs, or Windows Event logs etc....Go to Manager -> Search App. Then you'll see a summary of sources, sourcetypes and hosts. You can click on one of those links and it will modify your search specifically to that type of data.

Just put ABC in the your search bar and that will give you what you are looking for or something like host="ABC*" OR host="AB*" etc...which would be more specific than just searching for ABC*.

Take a look at some examples here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/User/Searchexamplestutorial

brian_runyon

I think I may have found my answer.

index=eucp | eventstats count(SEP*)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...