Splunk Search

Search buckets span=18h

timmalos
Communicator

Hi
I got a complex situation i'll try to explain best as possible:
I have some jobs events.
I group them by Policy.
I do my search from yesterday 18h to today 12h.
For each policy, i want the first job started, the last one finished and the interval.
This search to it pretty well:

index=infra_nb sourcetype=nbjobs|stats min(_time) as start,max(End) as end by Policy|eval diff=end-start

Here comes the troubles : I want the same search to process ,but this time in the past two months,having one result per "day". I need to group my jobs events by packets of 12AM-6PM=18 hours (which is easy with bins), packets starting each day at 6PM.(And this, i didnt find how to process)
So for each packets of events i do the previous search. I can then draw the evolution of the interval for each policy in respect to Time.

A solution would be to run the previous search each day as scheduled task, to store results into Splunk and then draw statistics from them, but i would avoir this if possible.

Thx for your help,

EDIT: I search a way to group events in "packets of events", 1packet per "day", but a "day" would be from 6PM to 12AM the next day, (i dont care other events from 12AM to 6PM).
In fact i need something like 'bucket spans=18h start=6PM'

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

linu1988
Champion

Hello,

I think it's very hard with the use of earliest and latest to do it for last 2 months. The best way i could think of is like this:

index=infra_nb sourcetype=nbjobs earliest=-2mon@mon latest=@mon|eval ignore_hour=strftime("_time","%H")|where ignore_hour < 12 AND ignore_hour > 18|eval month=strftime(_time,"%b")|eval day=strftime(_time,"%d")|eval mod_date=if(ignore_hour<18,day,day=day+1)|stats min(_time) as start,max(_time) as End by Policy,day,month|eval diff=End-start

Of-course you could tweak a little if there is any mistake OR any better solution can be suggested. Thanks

View solution in original post

linu1988
Champion

Hello,

I think it's very hard with the use of earliest and latest to do it for last 2 months. The best way i could think of is like this:

index=infra_nb sourcetype=nbjobs earliest=-2mon@mon latest=@mon|eval ignore_hour=strftime("_time","%H")|where ignore_hour < 12 AND ignore_hour > 18|eval month=strftime(_time,"%b")|eval day=strftime(_time,"%d")|eval mod_date=if(ignore_hour<18,day,day=day+1)|stats min(_time) as start,max(_time) as End by Policy,day,month|eval diff=End-start

Of-course you could tweak a little if there is any mistake OR any better solution can be suggested. Thanks

timmalos
Communicator

Did some changes, here is the final search : index=infra_nb sourcetype=nbjobs |eval hour=strftime(_time,"%H")|search (hour<12)OR(hour>=18)|eval month=strftime(_time,"%b")|eval day=strftime(_time,"%d")|eval day=if(hour<12,day,day+1)|stats min(_time) as start,max(eval(_time+jobElapsedTime)) as End by Policy,day,month|eval diff=End-start

Thx a lot for your help !

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Did some changes, please give it a try

0 Karma

timmalos
Communicator

Much better. But now it will calculate stats for events from 0h to 12h and 18h to 24h each day for each Policy.

What i need is 18h to 24h AND 0h to 12h the day after. All my troubles come from my time window is across two days.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

I have updated the answer, Could you please give it a try.

0 Karma

timmalos
Communicator

I didnt explain well : I dont want one answer for the past two months, i want one answer per day during the past two months (Actually can be 1 or 3 months or even 1 week), but for me a day is not 0am to 12pm but 6pm to 12am if you see what i mean.(Or i just would have used bucket span=24h). I tried using transaction but cant manage to find a good way.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...