Splunk Search

SPL: How to perform a SQL Like Minus Operation?

ahendler1
Explorer

I am trying to remove certain logs from a base query of a certain type based on the results of another query of a different type of log. Both are connected by the user field.

Specifically, I have identified instances where a user has 4 or more failed login attempts, and am trying to remove instances where they successfully changed their password after. This leaves a list of users, and their associated logs, who have a large number of failed logins but did not update their password.

Here is the base query:

index=1234 logger_name=auth message="user failed to login" earliest=-24h latest=now 
| stats count by user
| search count>=4
| join user [search index=1234 logger_name=auth message="user failed to login*" earliest=-24h latest=now]

Here is the query I am essentially trying to include. However, SPL only handles left, right, and inner joins

| MINUS user [search index=1234 logger_name=passwordchange message="Update Password:Success" earliest=-24h latest=now]

How might I accomplish this?

alt text

Thank you for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

horsefez
Motivator

Hi @ahendler1,

it's actually not that difficult.

Go for something like this:

index=1234 logger_name=auth message="user failed to login" earliest=-24h latest=now 
| stats count by user
| search count>=4
| join user [search index=1234 logger_name=auth message="user failed to login*" earliest=-24h latest=now]
| search NOT [search index=1234 logger_name=passwordchange message="Update Password:Success" earliest=-24h latest=now | fields user | format]

Tell me if it works.

View solution in original post

horsefez
Motivator

Hi @ahendler1,

it's actually not that difficult.

Go for something like this:

| stats count by user
| search count>=4
| search NOT [search index=1234 logger_name=passwordchange message="Update Password:Success" earliest=-24h latest=now | fields user | format]

Tell me if it works.

ahendler1
Explorer

@pyro_wood

Works great, thank you!

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

@ahenler1,

great!
Please accept the answer then. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...