Splunk Search

Running same Search for different time periods in an automated way

koshyk
Super Champion

Hi folks,
We had a major issue with one of our downstream systems. Hence we have been requested to provide splunk data in csv (which we provide on a daily basis) for the last 120 days.

The logic of the daily job is to run a report between 00:01 hrs to 00:00 hrs for the previous day and export to a csv file. Now I need to repeat this same search for last 120 days and create 120 individual reports. !!

Is there a way (or intelligent search) where I can export the CSV file on a daily basis for the last 120 days? (One Option I thought is to run the search by CLI and call the dates a parameter within a script, but its bit ugly)

Tags (3)
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Would gentimes and map be an option for you?

...| gentimes start=-120 increment=1d | map search="search <insert your search here> starttimeu::$start$ endtimeu::$end$" maxsearches=120

I don't really have too much experience with map/gentimes, and perhaps 120 parallell searches may be too much (don't know how it queues up).

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.5/SearchReference/Gentimes
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.5/SearchReference/Map

UPDATE:

Managed to get this search working, and it spits out a separate .csv file in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk

| gentimes start=-4 | map search="search index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component!=Metrics starttimeu=$starttime$ endtimeu=$endtime$ |head 10| table component, log_level | outputcsv dummy_$starttime$ " maxsearches=4 

/K

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Would gentimes and map be an option for you?

...| gentimes start=-120 increment=1d | map search="search <insert your search here> starttimeu::$start$ endtimeu::$end$" maxsearches=120

I don't really have too much experience with map/gentimes, and perhaps 120 parallell searches may be too much (don't know how it queues up).

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.5/SearchReference/Gentimes
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.5/SearchReference/Map

UPDATE:

Managed to get this search working, and it spits out a separate .csv file in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk

| gentimes start=-4 | map search="search index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component!=Metrics starttimeu=$starttime$ endtimeu=$endtime$ |head 10| table component, log_level | outputcsv dummy_$starttime$ " maxsearches=4 

/K

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Odd. In my case the the filenames were like dummy_1380405600.csv, i.e. the epoch timestamp representing that particular day.

Unfortunately, I could not get it translate that to a YY-mm-dd-style timestamp. Maybe it's easy, maybe it's impossible. I just don't know.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

my output filename is "dummy_$starttime$.csv"
I expected it to be something like "dummy_201309290000.csv"

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 'physical value'. If you want a slightly more readable filename, you can try to use this naming convention instead;

outputcsv dummy_$_serial_id$

where $_serial_id$ will be replaced with an incremental number for each run, i.e. day.

Unfortunately I have stretched the limit of my map/gentimes knowledge here.

/K

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A workaround to have dynamic names, will be to use as script to call the CLI to run the searches and script the name of the outputs.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

You are a star mate. It worked. Just only small issue is the file is output as "dummy_$starttime$.csv"
(any method to replace the $starttime$ with physical value?)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...