Splunk Search

Replace a fields value with it's tag value

jdaivs
Explorer

I have a field in my data-set that shows the device name that an event was was generated from. Recently our naming convention was updated and these names where changed. I have tagged the older values with the newer values and I am trying to get the newer value to display instead of the older so that the aggregated results I am trying to pull don't look at the same device twice.

I am not a wiz with sed, rex or eval but I tried adding the following to my query and I get an error stating that the eval function was expecting closing parens.

eval DEVICE_NAME=if(isnotnull(tag),rex DEVICE_NAME mode=sed "s/DEVICE_NAME/tag",DEVICE_NAME)

Tags (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jdaivs
Explorer

Why not this ?

eval DEVICE_NAME=coalesce(tag,DEVICE_NAME)

I moved your comment to the answer section so i can vote it up because it worked. With my fresher mind this morning I realized I was doing the evaluation (including this one) after the aggregation functions which I changed and it worked! Thank you

View solution in original post

jdaivs
Explorer

Why not this ?

I moved your comment to the answer section so i can vote it up because it worked. With my fresher mind this morning I realized I was doing the evaluation (including this one) after the aggregation functions which I changed and it worked! Thank you

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Why not this ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...