Splunk Search

Rename results doesn't work

philallen1
Path Finder

Hi

I have a feeling I'm missing something simple here. This is my search:

sourcetype="ContributionWebApi"  DbQuery=* | chart count by DbQuery 

And this are my results:

DbQuery--------------------------------------------------------------------count

EXEC [usp_GetClientListHierarchyNode] --------------------------------------3

EXEC [usp_GetClientListHierarchyTopLevel]-----------------------------------68

EXEC [zambezi.usp_GetDealsByClient]-----------------------------------------77

SELECT DISTINCT(UserTeamId) FROM SmartWarehouse.dbo.SR_UserTeam-------------68

I want to rename the DbQuery results to something more meaningful. I.e. for the first row, I'd rather it says "EXEC GetClientListHierarchy"

Is it possible to do this in the initial search? (i.e. using "rename"?) If not, where and how can I do this.

Thanks a lot

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Rename is for field names and you want to update field values, so that is not applicable for your case. You can use eval-replace if you know what are the possible strings you want to remove. Your example (changing "EXEC [usp_GetClientListHierarchyNode]" to "EXEC GetClientListHierarchy") can be achieve by following:-

sourcetype="ContributionWebApi" DbQuery=* | eval DbQuery=replace(DbQuery,"\[","") | eval DbQuery=replace(DbQuery,"\]","")| chart count by DbQuery

forward slash is escape character for brackets.

you can add more eval-replace part for all your customizations.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

You can use eval case(), but you would need to list each one in the case statement, and you can’t use wildcards directly. It would look something like this:

sourcetype="ContributionWebApi" DbQuery=* | eval DbQuery_desc=case(DbQuery=“EXEC [usp_GetClientListHierarchyNode]”,"EXEC GetClientListHierarchy",DbQuery=” EXEC [usp_GetClientListHierarchyTopLevel]”,“EXEC usp_GetClientListHierarchyTopLevel”,DbQuery=”EXEC [zambezi.usp_GetDealsByClient]”,DbQuery=“EXEC [zambezi.usp_GetDealsByClient]”,”EXEC zambezi.usp_GetDealsByClient”,DbQuery=”SELECT DISTINCT(UserTeamId) FROM SmartWarehouse.dbo.SR_UserTeam”,”SELECT DISTINCT UserTeamId FROM SmartWarehouse.dbo.SR_UserTeam”) | chart count by DbQuery_desc

You may also be able to use a lookup. You would still need to list all of the possible results with your desired wording, but they would be in a csv file not in the search.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...