Splunk Search

Regexes and the replace function

cphair
Builder

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a way to trim characters from an unknown field value during search. I'm tracking perfmon data with Splunk, and when there are multiple instances of a process, they come in as iexplore#1, iexplore#2, etc. For my particular search, I want to strip any trailing #(number) from the field values and track the combined information about the instances. The replace function should be what I want, but variations on 'replace "^(\w*)#." with $1"' that I've tried don't seem to work. If I knew the process name in advance I could do 'replace "iexplore#" with iexplore', but I don't. Is there a way to do this?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use rex with a SEDCMD, similar to this:

... | rex mode=sed field=process_name "s/#\d+//"

Which is quite similar to what you already have, so I may be barking up the wrong tree...

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use rex with a SEDCMD, similar to this:

... | rex mode=sed field=process_name "s/#\d+//"

Which is quite similar to what you already have, so I may be barking up the wrong tree...

cphair
Builder

@aapittts: The part between the first and second slash is the pattern to match, and between the second and third slash is the replacement string. In this case it's empty because I wanted to get rid of the text entirely, but you could have something like field=process_name "s/foo/bar/" which would replace all occurences of foo in process_name with bar.

aapittts
Path Finder

what part of the regex in this example is the replacement string? I need to do something very similar.

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

That's the syntax I was looking for. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...