Splunk Search

Regex using transforms.conf

gnovak
Builder

I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this right or going in the right direction. I have a log where the results are a bunch of numbers. Each number represents the time it took for a specific command to run. The first number represents a command, the second number represents another command, etc.

Here's what the line looks like:

2012-01-11 19:00:05+00 | eap.someregistry.net | 5 | 30 | 4 | 21 | 7 | 45 | 11 | 6 | 13 | 2

I have successfully extracted the eap.someregistry.net and labeled it "server". However I want to extract the numbers as well and have them labeled based on the command that they represent.

Example:

5 would be Login
30 would be Delete
4 would be Create
etc.

I was thinking of using transforms.conf and props.conf for this but I'm not quite sure how to go about this. I don't have a ton of experience using these files for this type of extraction.

I'm reading about props and transforms right now but figured I'd ask this question while I read more. What's the best way to go about doing this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You can perform a search time named field extraction with something like this in props.conf

Replace the fields names(command1, command2 etc...) with your specific command names

[my_sourcetype]
EXTRACT-extract_my_fields = \|\s(?<command1>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command2>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command3>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command4>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command5>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command6>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command7>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command8>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command9>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command10>\d+)

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You can perform a search time named field extraction with something like this in props.conf

Replace the fields names(command1, command2 etc...) with your specific command names

[my_sourcetype]
EXTRACT-extract_my_fields = \|\s(?<command1>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command2>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command3>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command4>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command5>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command6>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command7>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command8>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command9>\d+)\s\|\s(?<command10>\d+)

gnovak
Builder

Ah this worked great. Thanks....good to know for the future!

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

So far I've got a monster regex pulling out all of the numbers but I might see about putting this into files...just not sure how to go about doing it..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...