Splunk Search

Passing comparison operators in a variable

ohbuckeyeio
Path Finder

Is there a way to dynamically pass a comparison operator as a variable without a macro? I am looking to achieve something similar to what is shown below.

| eval number=8
| eval operator=">="
| eval comparison=7
| eval validate=if(number.operator.comparison,"yep","nope")
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Considering there only are six common comparison operators = != < <= > >= I'd recommend creating a macro that houses a big case statement.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Considering there only are six common comparison operators = != < <= > >= I'd recommend creating a macro that houses a big case statement.

ohbuckeyeio
Path Finder

Thank you Martin. I was assuming this would be the answer but was hoping for something more concise. I appreciate the help.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are only ugly options, e.g. iterating through all operators with case(), or map. What are you trying to achieve?

0 Karma

ohbuckeyeio
Path Finder

Hi Martin. I have a kvstore with rows that have a numerical field and an operator field (among others). I would like to loop through those rows and build a dynamic comparison based off of some search results.

In the example above, the field "number" is from an indexed search. The operator and comparison fields are in the kvstore. I would like to be able to dynamically compare the number/comparison fields based on the provided operator value.

The operators could be any standard operator (=,!=,>=, etc...)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...