Splunk Search

Not counting events in between event pairs

ellenbytech
Explorer

My search is
index=safes TransactionCode=DOPN OR TransactionCode=PWPL Details="*opened" OR Details="AC*"
| transaction open_ACpwr startswith=DOPN endswith=PWPL maxevents=2 | search eventcount=2

Essentially I want a list of events where someone opens a door and then encounters a power loss. This search, however is just pairing the last time the door was opened and the next power loss, whether or not the door was shut before the power loss occurred.
Would another way to do this be to pair every AC power loss event with the event immediately preceding it and then filtering out the ones that are not door open events? How would I go about doing this?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Don't use transaction, use streamstats

You want to know when a door opened and has not yet closed when you get a power outage.

So, you need the _time and Location of every event where the door opens, every event where the door closes, and every event where there is a power outage. (I've assumed that Door Close events are TransactionCode="DCLO".)

your search that gets _time, Location, and DOPN or DCLO OR PWPL

| eval DoorState=case(TransactionCode="DOPN","Open",TransactionCode="DCLO","Closed",true(),null())
| eval DoorOpenTime=if(TransactionCode="DOPN",_time,null())
| sort 0 Location _time 
| rename COMMENT as "The above sets up the state of the door and a field to remember the time it opened"

| rename COMMENT as "Now we copy forward the state of the door and track it across time."
| streamstats current=t last(DoorState) as CurrState last(DoorOpenTime) as DoorOpenTime by Location

| rename COMMENT as "Get rid of any record that isn't a power loss with an open door."
| where CurrState="Open" AND TransactionCode="PWPL"

| rename COMMENT as "Now we format the results"
| table _time Location TransactionCode CurrState DoorOpenTime
| eval DoorOpenTime=strftime(DoorOpenTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

If there is any reason you want to see the entire event for the Door Open, then just use the same strategy with _raw that we did with DoorOpenTime.

updated to put quotes around the final filter for "PWPL"

ellenbytech
Explorer

All the results disappear when the second half of line 12 is added. Since CurrState is defined as TransactionCode=DOPN, doesn't it automatically exclude events where the code might be PWPL?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ellenbytech - Sorry, updated to put quotes around "PWPL"

In answer to your question, NO, that's what the streamstats is tasked to do... copy the last open/closed status from the same location forward onto each record. Since a PWPL record has no status of its own, it gets the one from the immediate prior record of either an open or close type.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can include maxpause option in your transaction command to incorporate 'immediate' constraint.

index=safes (TransactionCode=DOPN  Details="*opened") OR (TransactionCode=PWPLDetails="AC*") | transaction open_ACpwr startswith=DOPN endswith=PWPL maxevents=2 maxpause=2s | search eventcount=2

ellenbytech
Explorer

Ok, that seems to clear up that issue but now I'm getting results from different locations as one event. For example:

Store# 935: Door opened 12:01:01
gets paired with
Store#2805: AC power loss 12:01:03

Can I restrict this further without running separate searches on every single store?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If store number is extracted as a field, add it to the transaction command along with open_ACpwr.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...