Splunk Search

Multiple REX from single search

MasterOogway
Communicator

I have some sendmail logs that send the following different entries within the data streams:

disposition=abc123

disposition=abc123, followed by some stuff.

disposition=xyz-123

disposition=xyz-123, followed by some stuff.

And I need to build one REX statement that allows me to call what comes after the "=" sign an errorcode. How can define multiple REX's from one search string?

Here is an example that works, but also pulls too much information after location the errorcode.

index=sendmail | rex "disposition=(?.*?)$" < ---sorry, the editor won't define my angle bracket, word, angle bracket that is between the first ? and the second?

It pulls everything after the errorcode including addtional characters, words and numbers and I need to grab strong text only.

Any thoughts on how to build a multi REX statement within one search query and defining each found errorcode as an incident?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps something like "disposition=(?P[^\n,]*),?" will help.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps something like "disposition=(?P[^\n,]*),?" will help.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...